Dear friends! It’s been a tough week here in Florida, a rollercoaster of emotions as most of us packed up our lives, boarded up our homes, gathered our families, and braced for a mega-storm. My little corner of the world was spared the brunt of the storm and I’ve spent this week putting my life back together and brainstorming ways in which I can be of service to those whom Irma was less kind to - many Caribbean islands, the Keys and S. Florida, FL river communities inundated by rising waters, vulnerable populations without access to resources, families struck by tree damage, etc.
My roommates and I were on a walk Wednesday night assessing the neighborhood damage (trees, power lines, and fences down but nothing too major) when I spotted the foliage of a Southern Red Cedar tree that had fallen during the storm and was piled neatly by the curb awaiting pick up. I’ve been using local cedar species as smudge lately (a nice alternative to white sage which is over-harvested/endangered…we’ll leave that topic for another post) and just learned on a recent plant walk that Southern Red Cedar is a plant of historical ceremonial significance to Florida’s native tribes. I was struck with inspiration - take bits of this fallen tree, bundle up its leaves, and sell them to kind folks as a way to raise money for those most affected by hurricane Irma.
So, that’s what I’m doing! I’m hosting a little fundraiser with the resources I have to benefit the people hit hardest by Irma. All proceeds from this fundraiser (100% of the money I raise) will benefit the Barbuda Relief Fund, a fund created by the American University of Antigua “to provide relief in the form of emergency supplies like food, water, and medicine in addition to longer-term recovery assistance to help residents recover and rebuild. All donations to this fund will be matched by AUA and will exclusively support relief and recovery efforts from this storm.” (from the fund’s GoFundMe page) https://www.gofundme.com/aua-barbuda-relief-fund
Note: I generally look at international aid with a very critical eye. I’ve done my research and this seems like a reliable fund with good intentions, and one that is in line with my goals for this fundraiser.
Without further ado, I bring to you a variety of herbal goodies in exchange for your generosity and desire to help those in need! If you’ve ever wanted to buy products from me, or try a tincture or tea blend, now’s your time! Along with the cedar smudge bundles, I’m selling afew Beautyberry products, as well as a variety of herbal extracts from my personal apothecary. I can also offer a multitude of personalized tea blends upon request, as I have a large apothecary of dried herbs. Expect each remedy to be hand-labeled with love. Money can be paid through venmo or PayPal. Send me a direct message through the contact page on this website and we will arrange local pickup or shipping. All shipping is an average $2 an item (will be adjusted as necessary). I will adjust each product amount to reflect what remains as things begin to sell. Please feel free to share with any and all who might be interested. THANK YOU ALL I LOVE YOU! <3
- Southern Red Cedar smudge bundles, suggested donation of $10
BEAUTYBERRY PRODUCTS: prices below
- double-extracted medicinal mushroom blends (reishi, mistake, shiitake, chaga, astragalus, vanilla bean, cinnamon, maple syrup) - 2 ounces each, $18
- chamomile/calendula all-purpose skin healing salve (in olive oil with lavender EO) - 2 ounces/$10, 4 ounces/$14
- warming muscle/joint pain salve (cayenne, ginger, meadowsweet, st. john’s wort leaf, calendula, peppermint and wintergreen EOs, olive oil) - 2ounces/$10
The following extracts are available in 1, 2, and 4 ounce bottles, or an 8 oz jar. PRICES are as follows: 1 oz/$10, 2 oz/$17, 4oz $30, 8oz/$50
ELIXIRS: all elixirs are made with raw local honey and extracted in either 40 or 50 proof vodka, or grain alcohol.
- homegrown/fresh garden spearmint elixir (8 ounces available)
- lavender (12 ounces)
- homegrown/fresh motherwort/lemon balm/tulsi
- lemon balm (4 oz)
TINCTURES: all alcohol tinctures are extracted in either 40 or 50 proof vodka, or grain alcohol.
- vitex (4 ounces)
- yarrow (4 ounces)
- passionflower, leaves used (12 oz)
- yellow dock (4 oz)
- clove and cardamom (6 oz)
- ashwagandha (6 oz)
- homegrown/fresh spanish needle (4 oz)
- wildcrafted/fresh sida acuta (16 oz)
- lavender (11 oz)
- motherwort (3.5 oz) - made by another herbalist
- turmeric (2 oz)
- wildcrafted/fresh bitter melon (8 oz)
- homegrown/fresh dandelion leaf (12 oz)
- japanese knotweed (4oz) - made by another herbalist
- reishi, chaga, schisandra, tulsi, cinnamon, ginger mushroom/adaptogen formula (8 oz)
- meadowsweet, peppermint, rosemary headache relief formula (4oz)
- chamomile, lavender, lemon balm, ashwagandha rest and relax formula (13 oz)
GLYCERITES: extracted in vegetable glycerin, non-alcohol based herbal extracts
- ginger, fennel, cinnamon (4oz)
Other relief efforts I'll be donating money and/or goods to on my own:
Sending love always,